Arthur Linfoot spent his holidays in St Andrews in late June – early July 1915, shortly before joining the Royal Army Medical Corps.
- The Scott Monument, Edinburgh – Arthur Linfoot went to St Andrews in Scotland for his holiday in 1915 – his brother Ernie was living there at the time. He travelled via Edinburgh and, during an enforced stop-over there (he had missed a connecting train), visited what he called the “Scott Memorial”.
- St Andrews – a former royal burgh on the east coast of Fife in Scotland, named after Saint Andrew the Apostle. Arthur Linfoot arrived here on 28 June 1915.
- Kinkell Braes stretch eastward from St Andrews along the North Sea coast. Arthur Linfoot visited the Braes on the first of several occasions during his holiday in 1915 on the 29th of June. The Braes are now occupied by modern structures including a caravan park and camp site.
- Mount Melville Estate – Arthur Linfoot visited the Mount Melville estate, now Craigtoun Country Park, on 2 July 1915 during his holiday in St Andrews.
- Hope Street Church – On Sunday, 4th July 1915, Arthur Linfoot wrote that he had planned to visit Hope Street Church in the evening. He was evidently overtaken by events and did not ultimately succeed in this plan. There is no Hope Street Church presently in existence – this is the site of Hope Park and Martyrs Church, which seems very likely to be the same place under a new name.
- St. Rule’s Tower – On 8 July 1915, Arthur Linfoot wrote that he had visited St Rule’s Tower. St Rule’s tower is located in the grounds of St Andrews Cathedral but predates it. The tower was originally ascended using ladders between wooden floors, but a stone spiral staircase was inserted in the 18th century. Arthur Linfoot visited St Rule’s Tower again on the following day.
Arthur Linfoot returned home from his holiday in St Andrews on 10 July 1915.
A historical map of St Andrews is available here, courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.