This map shows places in and around Sunderland which were a regular part of Arthur Linfoot’s life before the war.
- 4 Salem Hill, Sunderland, where Arthur Linfoot was living with his parents at the beginning of the diaries.
- Hendon Paper Mill, where Arthur Linfoot was employed as a clerk at the beginning of the diaries.
- 47 Eldon Street, Sunderland. Arthur Linfoot and his family moved here on 11 February 1915.
- Approximate location of South Durham Street Chapel, of which Arthur Linfoot was a member. It was closed in 1934 and subsequently demolished – along with all of South Durham Street, although a North Durham Street still exists.
- On Easter Monday 1914, Arthur Linfoot wrote about a visit to Marsden with his brother, Charlie, and two friends, Willie Marshall and Willie Whittaker. Willie Marshall took a photograph which is reproduced with this day’s diary entry.
- Arthur Linfoot first wrote about a visit to Penshaw Hill, site of the Penshaw Monument, on 2 April 1915. Penshaw is mentioned on several further occasions.
- The former location of Roker Park, which was Sunderland Association Football Club’s home ground from 1897 to 1997. Arthur Linfoot occasionally wrote about football matches he had attended here.
- Site of the Bede Memorial, a distinctive sculpted stone cross which stands in a prominent coastal location. Arthur Linfoot’s diary entry for 21 November 1914 notes the temporary removal of this monument, presumably to make it more difficult for an invading force to identify its specific location.
- Tunstall Hills, an important viewpoint in Sunderland and now an SSSI. Arthur Linfoot first mentioned visiting the Tunstall Hills on 15 May 1914, the same day as he noted a fatal aeroplane accident at Northallerton.
Please suggest other places you would like to see listed via the comments facility below.
Note that the embedded map above is a contemporary map which both omits many places which would have been familiar to Arthur Linfoot and includes new features which would not have been known to him. For example, there is now no South Durham Street or South Durham Street Chapel, although the original location of the latter is indicated.
A historical map of Sunderland is available here, courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.