The Pastures – Arthur Linfoot arrived in Alnwick on 16 October 1915. The only WW1 Army camp known (in 2013) to the staff at Alnwick’s Bailiffgate Museum was on The Pastures on the N. bank of the Aln facing Alnwick Castle; photos show the Northumberland Fusiliers there in bell-tents. ALL’s photos show wooden huts; there would have been room for these on The Pastures site, though perhaps there was a separate R.A.M.C. camp. See also Bill M’s photo of the site on Flickr.
On 21 November 1915, Arthur Linfoot wrote that he had attended Clayport Presbyterian Church. Clayport Presbyterian church merged with St. James Presbyterian church, Alnwick in 1955. The latter still exists as a United Reformed church and now houses a WW1 memorial plaque originally located at Clayport church.
On 18 December 1915, Arthur Linfoot wrote that he had visited Alnmouth, a village located at the mouth of the River Aln, in turn the same river as flows past the site of the Pastures army camp in Alnwick. Alnmouth is about 5 miles to the south-east of Alnwick.
Arthur Linfoot recorded a fatal motor accident in his diary entry of 12 January 1916. Sgt. Thomas Bell received injuries which proved fatal after crashing a motor ambulance near the entrance to Reigham Quarry to the West of Alnwick.
On 25 February 1916, Arthur Linfoot wrote that he met Betty (Mack) on the “HH High House Road”. It is not clear what this may have meant, but there is a Heckley High House to the north west of Alnwick which is reached via a long, straight road – possibly the HH High House Road mentioned.